Friday, April 5, 2013

Is it "Real" Part 2

“Do you have anything real?” “I don’t want to pay that much since it’s not real.” "I’m looking for real gold.”
I have heard all of these comments recently and although I think I might know what you mean, your words are still somewhat confusing. When asking vendors or retailers for what you want try to be as specific as possible so they can assist you properly without any confusion. Maybe by “real gold” you mean that your standard is 14k or higher and you prefer filled and not plated? Maybe you have a price range of $40-$60 but the quality must be 18k, but plated is okay with you. Maybe you have no idea what I’m talking about now! Well let’s clear up the confusion about metal types.

There are many metals to consider when buying jewelry. Lower cost metals are copper, brass, nickel and combined base metals. During a recession or depression these metals can become more popular. These can be plated which means covered with a layer of silver or gold.
Silver standards refer to the amount of silver alloy used. A typical Sterling Silver has a fineness of .925 and is usually marked as a stamp somewhere on the piece, but not always. A piece that is not marked may be a lower fineness of silver or may be silver plated over a base metal. Here is a compilation of silver standards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_standards
Gold is measured by karat and is normally 10k, 14k, 18k or 24k. The higher the karat the softer the metal is. The karat is usually marked as a stamp somewhere on the piece but not always. This can be solid gold which is most expensive and harder to find, gold filled or gold plated. Here is a link explaining “gold filled jewelry.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold-filled_jewelry
In my shop, I use all different kinds of metals to get the colors, weight and look I desire in my jewelry designs. It is best to ask me or read the description when shopping online to see exactly what kind of metal was used. I do like to keep the cost of materials down so I can pass on that cost savings to you so I tend to use lower cost metals such as brass, sterling silver plated and gold plated or filled. When doing custom orders I use exactly what the customer desires. I also love the look of brass and copper in my vintage inspired pieces. Here are some examples from my website. Next time we’ll talk about Vintage and what that means!
Have a Magical day!!

This is a 14k gold filled chain.

This is non-tarnish silver plated copper wire.

This is a silver plated aluminum (very light weight) chain.



No comments: