Friday, April 12, 2013

What does "Vintage" mean?


In my work at www.jenuinearticles.com, I throw around the word “vintage” a lot and sometimes people ask me what that means. Well, by definition vintage refers to the year something was produced, like my favorite wine has a nice vintage of 2010. But in the fashion industry or thrift shop lifestyle it means an article that is fashionably old. The term Vintage in the antique world means an item that has value and is 20-100 years old. After its 100th birthday it becomes an antique. I like to stick to the 20 year rule when using the term vintage, even if my item has little value. I find a special kinship to old things. I don’t know if they remind me of some special time in my childhood or maybe it’s the just a smell or a color that takes me back to rummaging through my grandmother’s clothes and jewelry when I was small, but there is definitely a warm feeling I get when I find a vintage goodie. I have discovered that I can give vintage pieces new life by putting them into new settings or ring bases or combining them with new findings in a necklace or bracelet. Below are some examples of vintage pieces that I have given new life to that have sold.

Have a Beautiful day!

Vintage cabochons on new earring posts.

Vintage buttons used as a clasp in peyote beaded bracelets

Vintage glass horse intaglio and vintage metal setting on new ring base

Vintage beads used in triple strand necklace

Vintage cabochons and vintage metal connectors used as settings in earrings

No comments: